Monday, December 17, 2007

McKay's in the hospital

I just wanted to write a little something quick before I head off to sleep. Saturday around 2:00 McKay had a grand maul seizure. He has never had one of these before. but yes he does have seizures quite often. They only last 3-4 seconds though. This one lasted a total of 45 minutes. It started right here in our living room. I was sitting right next to him when it started, and lasted the whole way to Primary Children's Hospital and did not stop until they gave him a drug called Adivan. I can honestly say that this was the scariest thing we've gone through yet with little McKay. We wondered maybe if this was going to be it for McKay. It hit me really strong when I walked into his room there in the Emergency room and saw McKay shaking on the table with wires and cords all over him. But once again he has pulled through and he's feeling much better. He is still in the hospital and most likely will be there for a couple more days. He is still very lethargic and very out of it. They say that after a seizure one can be very tired and will sleep for a long time. so.... they won't send him home till he's more his normal self again. They really don't know why this happened, so we still have no real answers. They are putting him back on another medication for seizures and want to make sure he tolerates it okay. So anyway.... that's a little update. Other than that all is well- John stays the night with McKay and I stay here with the little one's. I go up for part of the day. My goal is to just keep up with everything! I just can't believe Christmas is in a week. so Just know..... If you don't get a Christmas card here soon..... Well, just know we love you! Here's one thing I've learned through all of this. It seems that almost every year of McKay's life we have spent some time at Primary children's in some way or another. It's there that I learn what's most important in life. Life is so precious. Christmas will come and go. Just take a deep breath and enjoy the small moments of life.

13 comments:

robin said...

Tauna we are praying for little Mckay. We love him so much, I cried all day when we found out. It really puts everything in perspective. Give him a hug and a kiss from us! We love you and hope to see you over the holidays.

Kami Jo said...

Tauna we will be praying and thinking of your family this holiday season. McKay couldn't ask for better parents then you and John!!!

Chellie said...

Mckay is always in my thoughts and prayers, but just so you know Tauna, YOU are too. You are amazing and so strong. I admire you immensely. Mckay is very lucky to have you for a mother and John as a father-- I am so humbled as I hear of your trials and everything you and John go through on a daily basis. Both of you are extraordinary beings.
We love you and hope that you will all be together this Christmas.

Heidi Kjar said...

Love you Tauna. Your email gave me the chills. When I used to work at Primary Childrens Hospital- I would get that overall impression too....life is precious. Those little kids there are so AMAZING. I miss their amazing spirits and strength. You get to have a sweet spirit Mckay with you all the time. Set Christmas aside and take care of your family. And remember I live 10 minutes away and you know I'll help you with anything. Love you guys.

MiandMiksmom said...

Thanks for helping all of us keep things in perspective. We will pray for McKay and your sweet family. Man, I wish I was there to help you.

The Roe Family said...

What a trooper! We are so glad you're home, we love you Mckay.

M said...

We hope things are going better. We love little McKay and pray for him daily!

Erica said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I was with my sister Jessica when she had a grand maul seizure, and it was terrifying. I hope it never happens to McKay again! Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year- may it be a year free of Primary Children's Hospital! :)
Love you guys!

Kylene said...

It's post like these that put things in perspective real quick for me. Thanks for keeping us updated and know that we are thinking of you.

kelli said...

Tauna,
I Found your blog. I am glad your little boy is home and doing better.
What a scary experience for you guys!
-Kelli Packer (from the ward)

Amy Johnson said...

Hey Tauna, it's so fun to stumble upon blogs of people you know from way back when! I went to high school with you (Amy Downs than). Anyway, it broke my heart to hear about your little boy! I hope he is doing better! I have a little boy myself and seriously can't imagine going through that! You have such a beautiful family!! It was fun to see your pics! Keep in touch (cajohnson.blogspot)

Nan said...

What Tauna didn't post is that they were asked to speak in Sacrament that week. And we are all so very proud of her for saying "no"~ although I'm sure she did so in her very sweet kind way.

You guys are great and when we are all together we always see such a happy family. We forget all you go through. "baby McKay" is always a part of our prayers!

Harris said...

Tauna!!! I didn't know you were in the blog world!! I am soo so so excited...it is so easy to keep in touch this way! I am so sad to hear about McKay, you will be in our prayers!! We love you guys! You have such an adorable family!